Days 4, 5, 6 the shovel behaved. I had no problems on the three days of the run itself. The shovel ran great, and the routes were absolutely beautiful runs through mid-Tennessee.
Day 7: This was the last day of the run. The bike ran great all day, but between the time I parked it for the closing banquet, and when I came back out to ride back to the hotel, my headlight switch stopped working. So I was back to no headlight, one spot, and it’s dark. Fortunately, I was able to follow another bike back, so I used his headlight, and my one spot for light. For the second time in a week, I’m into the headlight to see what the problem was – I couldn’t imagine it was the pigtail again. The bulb was new. Only thing left was the switch on the handlebar. Bingo. I was going to be traveling for two days to get home – I needed a headlight. So I moved the hi-beam wire from the headlight circuit to the circuit I had my spotlight switch on, and I was back in business.
Day 8: On my walk-around, I noticed a hitch pin missing from my left saddlebag. There was a hardware store across the street from the hotel, so on my way out of town, I went in and picked up a few replacements. I put one on, and the rest in my windshield bag. During the ride that day, I felt something nudge my left foot. I was doing 55 on a bike – there shouldn’t be anything nudging my foot. I looked down, and my horn was sitting between my foot and the primary, with the wires still attached. The bracket had broken in half. There was nowhere to pull off right where I was, so I just reached down, disconnected the wires, and put the horn on the seat between my legs. In a couple miles, I found a gas station to pull over into. I put the horn in my saddlebag, and kept going. It didn’t work anyway.
For a day or two, I had been noticing that the starter button was beginning to have a delay in it. By Day 8, I had to wiggle it to get it to work – I was on borrowed time.